Craig A. Newman is a Managing Partner of the Firm and a member of its Executive Committee.
Mr. Newman has more than 25 years of experience as a law firm partner, general counsel, and corporate executive. He regularly counsels financial institutions, corporations, senior executives, boards and committees, entrepreneurs, private equity and hedge funds, and investment banks in a wide range of global issues with an emphasis on complex corporate litigation, corporate governance, cybersecurity/ data privacy, regulatory compliance, corporate disclosure, and intellectual property. He also conducts internal investigations to assist management and boards with the most complex operational and governance matters.
Previously, Mr. Newman served as General Counsel of a $6.5 billion multi-sector global investment firm with holdings in 67 companies. He also served as General Counsel of Americast, the Disney-led national media, communications, and technology consortium co-owned by the nation’s largest telecommunications companies.
Mr. Newman spent more than a decade as a partner with Arnold & Porter LLP.
Most recently, Mr. Newman has represented, among other clients:
- Special Board Committee of NYSE-listed institution in internal investigation into compliance and regulatory matters and subsequent shareholder derivative litigation;
- Top tier financial institution in development and implementation of protocols to manage counter-party risk and pursue fast-track remedies in multi-billion dollar global transactions;
- Global hedge fund in litigation against European financial institution relating to the termination under ISDA documentation of a $1.5 billion total return swap portfolio of corporate loans and bonds;
- NYSE-listed company and its senior management in litigation related to the disclosure of the identity of an alleged hacker who disclosed confidential and proprietary information on the Internet;
- Media joint venture in American Arbitration Association arbitration arising out of the termination of a marketing and advertising affiliate of a Fortune 500 company;
- One of the largest media and technology enterprises in the U.S. and Canada as conflicts counsel in their Chapter 11 reorganization in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York;
- Majority lenders and financial institutions in litigation with minority lenders related to foreclosure of major international resort property that served as collateral for both term and revolving loan facilities;
- NYSE-listed company in investigation into alleged hacking of confidential corporate information by business competitor;
- Private equity and investment funds with respect to the fiduciary obligations and duties of corporate officers and directors under a broad range of scenarios;
- Federally appointed Receiver in a securities fraud civil enforcement action instituted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and related U.S. Department of Justice investigation arising out of a multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme;
- Major university and faculty member in investigation related to allegations of plagiarism and copyright infringement; and,
- Investment partnership in litigation relating to control and ownership of a multi-property real estate development project, including successfully securing a mandatory injunction granting the client the right to control the project pending trial.
Mr. Newman has appeared on CNN as a legal analyst and has written for The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, and Financial Times.
Mr. Newman also serves as Chief Executive Officer of The Freedom2Connect Foundation, a Washington, D.C.-based non-profit dedicated to promoting Internet freedom through the use of open source technology; Chairman of the National Board of Advisors of the Cronkite School of Journalism & Mass Communication at Arizona State University, where he is a William Randolph Hearst Visiting Professional and a Trustee of the University. He is also on the Advisory Board of Newsy, a multi-source news service for mobile devices.
He has also completed the Harvard Business School Corporate Governance Program.
Mr. Newman is admitted to practice in New York, the District of Columbia and Michigan.
Honors & Awards
- Member, Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication Hall of Fame
- Bernard Kilgore Fellowship awarded by The Society of Professional Journalists/Sigma Delta Chi and The George Washington University
- The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers Intellectual Property Award
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Chief Executive Officer, Freedom2Connect Foundation
- Trustee, Arizona State University
- Chairman, National Advisory Board, Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Arizona State University
- Advisory Board Member, Newsy/Media Convergence Group
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Missouri-Columbia School of Journalism
- William Randolph Hearst Visiting Professional (Law and Regulation), Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Arizona State University
- Member, Media Council, The Paley Center for Media
- Faculty, Practising Law Institute