Craig A. Newman is a Managing Partner of the firm and a member of its Executive Committee.
Mr. Newman has more than 25 years of experience as a general counsel, corporate executive, and law firm partner. His practice involves a combination of litigation and corporate counseling. He regularly advises Fortune 500 companies, financial institutions, investment funds and their leadership teams and boards on a wide range of matters including corporate governance, transactions, internal investigations, regulatory matters and cybersecurity/data privacy. Mr. Newman also has been the lead partner in numerous high-profile litigations.
Previously, Mr. Newman served as General Counsel of a $6.5 billion multi-sector global investment firm and as General Counsel of Americast, the Disney-led national media, communications and technology consortium co-owned by the nation’s largest telecommunications companies.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Newman spent more than a decade as a partner with Arnold & Porter LLP.
Mr. Newman regularly appears on CNN and Bloomberg focusing on issues at the intersection of finance, technology and privacy, and writes for The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal and Financial Times, among other publications. A former journalist, he serves as Chief Executive Officer of the Freedom2Connect Foundation, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit foundation which funds technology initiatives that address the growing issue of global Internet censorship. He is also a member of the Advisory Board of Newsy, the news and information service for mobile devices.
Mr. Newman is Chairman of the National Board of Advisors at the Cronkite School of Journalism & Mass Communication at Arizona State University, where he is also a Trustee.
Most recently, Mr. Newman has represented, among other clients:
- Global hedge fund in litigation against European financial institution relating to the termination under ISDA documentation of a $1.5 billion total return swap portfolio of corporate loans and bonds;
- Audit Committee of global investment fund in internal investigation relating to allegations of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations;
- Special Board Committee of NYSE-listed financial institution in internal investigation into compliance and regulatory matters and subsequent shareholder derivative litigation;
- F100 company in assessing and implementing public disclosures with respect to cybersecurity and data protection risk factors;
- Top-tier financial institution in development and implementation of protocols to manage counter-party risk and pursue fast-track remedies in multi-billion dollar global transactions;
- NYSE-listed company and its senior management in litigation related to the disclosure of the identity of an alleged hacker who disclosed confidential and proprietary information on the Internet;
- Media joint venture in American Arbitration Association arbitration arising out of the termination of a marketing and advertising affiliate of a Fortune 500 company;
- One of the largest media and technology enterprises in the U.S. and Canada as conflicts counsel in their Chapter 11 reorganization in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York;
- Majority lenders and financial institutions in litigation with minority lenders related to foreclosure of major international resort property that served as collateral for both term and revolving loan facilities;
- NYSE-listed company in investigation into alleged hacking of confidential corporate information by business competitor;
- Private equity and investment funds with respect to the fiduciary obligations and duties of corporate officers and directors under a broad range of scenarios;
- Federally appointed Receiver in a securities fraud civil enforcement action instituted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and related U.S. Department of Justice investigation arising out of a multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme;
- Major university and faculty member in investigation related to allegations of plagiarism and copyright infringement; and
- Investment partnership in litigation relating to control and ownership of a multi-property real estate development project, including successfully securing a mandatory injunction granting our client the right to control the project pending trial.
Mr. Newman is admitted to practice in New York, the District of Columbia, and Michigan.
Honors & Awards
- Member, Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication Hall of Fame
- Bernard Kilgore Fellowship awarded by The Society of Professional Journalists/Sigma Delta Chi and The George Washington University
- The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers Intellectual Property Award
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Chief Executive Officer, Freedom2Connect Foundation
- Trustee, Arizona State University
- Chairman, National Advisory Board, Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Arizona State University
- Advisory Board Member, Newsy/Media Convergence Group
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Missouri-Columbia School of Journalism
- William Randolph Hearst Visiting Professional (Law and Regulation), Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Arizona State University
- Member, Media Council, The Paley Center for Media
- Faculty, Practising Law Institute