Christopher Andrew Jarvinen is a partner in the Corporate & Finance Transactions Department, specializing in Bankruptcy & Special Situations Investments. His practice focuses on serving in leading roles in chapter 11 cases, chapter 15 cases and other cross-border insolvency matters, out-of-court restructurings and bankruptcy-related litigation. Mr. Jarvinen's extensive experience has equipped him to provide clients with value-added, cost-effective solutions for complex business and litigation problems arising in the context of financially-distressed situations and corporate restructurings. more +
Mr. Jarvinen has a particular interest and specialty in formulating tactical "play books" to provide clients with sets of strategies for protecting and enhancing their private property rights in the face of potential or actual bankruptcy filings. Mr. Jarvinen's practice also includes providing governance advice to companies, their boards and senior executives with respect to their fiduciary duties in relation to insolvency and other matters.
Prior to joining RK&O, Mr. Jarvinen was a partner with, respectively, the Bankruptcy Reorganization Team of Berger Singerman LLP in Miami, Florida, and the Bankruptcy & Restructuring practice group at Hahn & Hessen LLP in New York. Earlier in his career, Mr. Jarvinen was an associate in New York with, respectively, the Bankruptcy & Corporate Reorganization practice group at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP and the Business Restructuring & Reorganization practice group at Kronish, Lieb, Weiner & Hellman, LLP (n/k/a Cooley LLP).
Before joining RK&O, Mr. Jarvinen has served as debtor’s counsel to large public and private companies, including:
- Allen Systems Group, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.) – a global provider of mission-critical enterprise information technology solutions (pre-filing, preparation counsel).
- Interliant, Inc. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.) – a national provider of information technology services.
- Maguire Group Holdings, Inc. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – an international provider of architectural, engineering, planning, and construction management services.
- Progressive Molded Products, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.) – a Canadian-based automotive interior subsystem supplier.
- Simply Fashion Stores, Ltd. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a retail chain of approximately 250 stores providing affordable clothing options for urban women.
Mr. Jarvinen also has extensive experience serving as counsel representing official committees of unsecured creditors in chapter 11 corporate restructurings, including:
- Extended Stay Inc. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.) – an international chain of extended stay hotels.
- Filene’s Basement, Inc. (Bankr. D. Mass.) – a national retail chain.
- Goodman & Dominguez d/b/a “Traffic Shoes” (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a multi-regional retailer of women’s shoes and apparel.
- Montgomery Ward LLC (Bankr. D. Del.) – a national retail chain.
- PJ Finance Company LLC (Bankr. D. Del.) – the owner and operator of 33 residential apartment complexes located throughout the U.S.
Mr. Jarvinen’s significant receiver, chapter 11 trustee, and plan trustee representations include:
- the plan trustee appointed in American Home Mortgage Holdings, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.) – the 10th largest U.S. originator, servicer and seller of mortgage loans when it filed for chapter 11 protection.
- the plan trustee appointed in Taylor, Bean & Whitaker Mortgage Corp. (Bankr. M.D. Fla.) – the largest independent (i.e., non-depository owned) mortgage lender in the U.S. at the time of its bankruptcy filing.
- the court-appointed chapter 11 trustee in Rothstein Rosenfeldt Adler P.A. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a law firm in which a Ponzi scheme in excess of $1.2 billion was run by Scott Rothstein through his operation of the pre-debtor law firm.
- the receiver in Florida Gaming (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a jai-alai operator and gaming entity.
Mr. Jarvinen also regularly represents major parties involved in chapter 15 ancillary cross-border cases, including:
- a party involved in a complex multi-jurisdictional litigation in Banco Santos, S.A. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y. and Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a Brazilian bank in liquidation that operated a Ponzi-style scheme.
- a significant secured creditor in Independência S.A. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.) – a Brazilian exporter of beef.
- a primary interested party in Varig Logistica S.A. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a Brazilian company that was engaged in the business of providing cargo air support.
- the secured creditor in W.C. Wood Corp., Ltd. (Bankr. D. Del.) – a Canadian manufacturer of refrigerators.
- the secured creditor in World Financial Group, Inc. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – an entity created in the BVI.
Mr. Jarvinen has been involved in many other notable bankruptcy cases, including representing:
- a corporation that had sold its automobile and industrial friction products business to a predecessor-in-interest of Federal Mogul Global, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.) – an international manufacturer of auto parts and systems.
- a hedge fund and a national retirement fund in SPhinX, Ltd. (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.) – a hedge fund registered in the Cayman Islands.
- the hotel condominium association in Elcom Hotel & Spa, LLC (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a five-star hotel and residential condominium complex located in Bal Harbour, Florida.
- the secured creditor in Decorator Industries, Inc. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – a national designer, manufacturer and retailer of interior furnishings.
- the secured creditor in Maysville, Inc. (Bankr. S.D. Fla.) – the owner of apartments and condominium complexes.
Honors & Awards
- American College of Bankruptcy - Fellow
- International Insolvency Institute - Fellow
- American Law Institute - Member
- American Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Best Lawyer by The Best Lawyers in America® (2017-2018)
- Leading Individual in Bankruptcy/Restructuring by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2014-2017)
- J. William Fulbright Scholarship Board (U.S. Department of State) – Fulbright Specialist: Bankruptcy Law and Restructuring Research Center of the China University of Political Science and Law (expected, 2019)
- 10th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards - Served as pre-filing debtors' counsel for, and won, the award for "Technology Restructuring of the Year" with respect to the chapter 11 bankruptcy case of Allen Systems Group, Inc. (2016)
- 7th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards - Served as lead counsel for, and won, the award for "Chapter 11 Reorganization of the Year (between $10mm to $250mm)" for reorganizing Maguire Group Holdings, Inc. (2013)
- National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges (NCBJ) - Class 2 of the "Next Generation Program" (2012)
- International Insolvency Institute (III) - Class I of the III "NextGen Leadership Program" (2012)
Professional & Community Affiliations
Co-Chair of Claims Trading Committee, American Bankruptcy Institute
Member of Advisory Board, American Bankruptcy Institute - New York City Bankruptcy Conference
Member of Organizing Committee (2006- Present) and Past Chair (2012-2015), American Bankruptcy Institute - Caribbean Insolvency Symposium
Co-Founder, Current Member, TMA Brasil; Former Ambassador of TMA-Brasil to the TMA (U.S.)
Former Official Liaison to the Ordem dos Advogados do Brasil, American Bar Association (2009-2011; 2013-2014)
Former Board of Editors, International Corporate Rescue (2006-2017)
Former Leadership Council, Harvard Divinity School (2010-2015)
Member, Lambda Legal - Nonprofit national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and everyone living with HIV