September 27, 2017
RK&O partner Lee Richards was a leader on a panel for PLI's "Storming the Gatekeepers: When Compliance Officers and In-House Lawyers Are at Risk 2017" program on Wednesday, September 27th. The title of his panel was called, "Defending the Gatekeeper: When In-House Counsel and Compliance Professionals are Investigated." Mr. Richards and his co-panelists explored:
- How to defend an in-house lawyer or compliance person in a DOJ or SEC investigation.
- Can an in-house or outside lawyer divulge privileged communications in defending themselves?
- What are the implications on the privilege of such a defense on the investigation and ensuing litigation?
- When will the government charge an individual versus the employer for compliance failures?
- Recent government investigations of in-house counsel and compliance professionals and successful defense strategies.
For more information on the program please click here.